Monday, July 7, 2008

making decisions

I've taught BUS/COMM six times previously, two times in person and four times online. Each time the class is different--different readings, different assignments. In part I make changes to keep the class fresh; in part because I'm trying to perfect the class--teach it better each time. I realize the class never will be perfect. As my spouse says, perfection is for the gods alone. And the class isn't always better in spite of my attempted improvements. But I learn from all my classes no matter how they enfold. So once again, I'm making changes.

I'm sticking with the same text I've used twice. Students respond positively to it and it provides a solid foundation for their research projects. I spoke with Ted Zorn, one of the authors, at the National Communication Association convention last year and he indicated a new edition was in the works. I hope so. Much has happened in organizational communication and organizing since the book was published in 2004.

The primary change I'm making is moving out of Blackboard (read about my views of this learning management system in my COMM 144 blog). Suffice it to say I'm not too impressed with the latest version. Students will now be blogging about what they're reading about and working on for the class. And they'll comment on each other's blogs (and mine if they choose to do so). Students blog in my undergraduate classes and seem to like it. I think blogging about the readings, and especially reading what others blog about, helps them understand the material and improves their performances on assessments (although I have no empirical evidence for this). Blogging also engages students directly with the course material and with each.

So I'll see how it goes. . .

~ Professor Cyborg

No comments: